Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I wonder... a tribute to my dad and my aunt; two people I loved and lost to Cancer

My childhood was spent in a happy little lane that lay nestled in the bustling city of Bombay (now Mumbai). Summer holidays were spent at my aunt's place where we babysat our two young cousins and walked down to Snowman's for ice-cream. College life was spent in a beautiful building, still used as a prop for many Bollywood films...but the glossy magazines of the West with their coke ads and fancy technology got to us and we moved on, out of the city and our country. Leaving behind wonderful memories of a happy childhood, chasing the American dream. The visit to my aunt's (masi's) place no longer just a bus ride in the big double decker BEST buses, it was a two and half hour flight!...and we moved further away, from the Middle East to North America...now I live in Toronto, a beautiful city I call home, where the air is clean and fresh and I don't have to worry about power shortages or wake up early to fill the water tank. But...I am not home when a loved one suffers. I am not there to sit by their side and relive all those memories spent together with them, hold their hand or tell them "I love you and will miss you when you are gone" So I wonder, why do we go out looking for happiness, leaving behind everything that gave us that in the first place? I wonder when people say, "thanks to technology the world is shrinking" I disagree, because we rely on technology, we have created such a vast distance amongst ourselves. I never got to say goodbye to my dad; I was fourteen hours away on a transatlantic flight. Yesterday, I never got to say bye to my aunt before she passed away; once again I was too far away...So, I wonder, what is the definition of 'home' and where is home? My husband, kids, mom and siblings are here in Toronto with me. My grandmother, uncles, aunts and cousins thousands of miles away...do we really need to scatter around the world? Can we not find what we need right on our doorstep? I wonder...

No comments: